The goal of Credible Operations, Inc. (NMLS Number 1681276, hereinafter “Credible”) is to give you the tools and confidence you need to improve your finances. We advertise products from partner lenders who insure our services, but all opinions are our own.
A sewer is one of the most important elements of a home. They carry waste away from your home and protect your water quality. It can be difficult to know if you or the city are responsible for repairing a sewer pipe if something happens to them.
home insurance It may cover sewer pipe damage that occurs as a result of a covered event, such as a fire or hailstorm. However, normal use damage is not covered.
Here’s what you need to know about home insurance and sewer coverage.
can be trusted Compare home insurance premiums All in one place from the top insurers.
In many cases, standard home insurance We will not cover the cost of repairing or replacing sewer pipes. For example, sewer pipe damage caused by normal wear and tear, tree roots, floods, or earthquakes is not covered.
However, if the sewer is on your property, the damage may be covered by other structural coverage on your home insurance policy. This is often 10% of the insured value of the home. So if you insure a $200,000 home, you might get a $20,000 sewer policy. Check with your insurance company to confirm your coverage level.
On the other hand, if the sewer isn’t on your property, your home insurance won’t cover the damage. Instead, it becomes the responsibility of the individual or entity that owns the location of the damaged sewage pipe.
your home Insurance helps cover If sewer pipe damage occurs suddenly or accidentally and is caused by any of these covered hazards:
- vehicle damage
- aircraft damage
- hail or windstorm
- Falling object
In most cases, home insurance does not cover sewer pipe repair or replacement, but here are some optional coverages you can purchase to get this protection.
- Service line coverage — Depending on your insurance company, you may be able to purchase service line coverage or buried utility line coverage as an add-on (or rider) to your existing policy. This coverage helps repair or replace sewer pipes damaged as a result of normal wear and tear, freezing, trees and roots, rodents and insects, or mechanical or electrical failures.
- Coverage of Sewer Backup — You can purchase sewer backup coverage (also called water supply backup coverage) as a rider from many insurance companies. This warranty does not cover damage to the sewer itself, but it does help cover damage to your home or personal property that occurs as a result of your sewer backup.
- Home Guarantee — Some home insurance companies cover sewer pipe repairs.a home security It’s different than home insurance, but it can still be useful. This is a service contract that covers specific appliances and systems in your home. If your sewer pipe is damaged due to normal wear and tear or other covered causes, some home warranties may help repair or replace it.
What you can do with Credible Compare home insurance premiums In minutes from top insurance providers.
Follow the steps below to purchase home insurance with additional sewer pipe coverage.
- Find a home insurance company that offers service line coverage. First, contact your existing insurance company to see if they can add service line coverage or sewer backup coverage riders to your existing policy. Contact other insurers online or by phone.
- Get comparison shops and quotes. Once you’ve found an insurance company that offers sewer pipe coverage, get a home insurance quote online or contact your insurance agent. When shopping, compare rates for similar coverage and deductibles.
- buy policy Finding the right insurance company buy homeowners insurance Decide if you want to pay the full amount upfront or pay in installments.